The first issue of Happenings Magazine hit shelves in June 1969. Tom Reddington, Jim Eagen and Murray Dolitsky founded the publication to encourage people to go from Scranton to Wilkes-Barre, and vice versa, for cultural events.
Tom and Ann Reddington became sole owners of Happenings Magazine.
Paula Rochon Mackarey began serving as publisher and president in 1994, and Barbara Toolan started as managing editor in 1995. The two met while students in Marywood University’s Communication Arts program where they majored in Public Relations and Advertising. The pair introduced major changes to the publication as it evolved from a 32-page, black-and-white magazine to a full-color, glossy publication. Circulation grew from 10,000 to 30,000 copies distributed per month.
Happenings joined the world wide web by unveiling HappeningsMagazinePA.com. The digital component has grown to include every page of the current issue published in its entirety on the site, in addition to web-only features!
The publication celebrated its 40th anniversary with year-long themed features and contests. The June 2009 issue celebrated the forty-year history of both the magazine and the region it serves.
- Apex Award for Publication Excellence
- Franklin Award for Excellence
- Small Business of the Year, 2005, by The Greater Scranton Chamber of Commerce
- SAGE Award, Best Practices in Community Involvement, by the Greater Scranton Chamber of Commerce
- Northeastern Pennsylvania Addy Awards Certificate of Excellence
- Small Business Excellence for Growth Award, by The Greater Scranton Chamber of Commerce
- Top 50 Women in Business in PA (Paula Rochon Mackarey, President)
- Top 25 Women in Business (Paula Rochon Mackarey, President; Barbara Toolan, Managing Editor; Rosemary Nye, Account Representative; Lisa Ragnacci, Art Director), by Northeast PA Business Journal
- Top 20 Under 40, 2010 (Erika A. Bruckner, Associate Editor), by Northeast PA Business Journal
- Athena Award (Paula Mackarey, President)
- Barack Award for Creative Leadership (Paula Mackarey, President), by United Cultures Leadership Institute
- Martha Hellerton Award for Community Service (Paula Mackarey, President), by PNC Bank